[Soc-coordination] Call for Projects & Mentors for Google Summer of Code 2012

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Thu Feb 16 15:58:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 01:57:04PM +0100, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> This year, we're not just calling for projects and mentors, but try to
> approach various teams that we think could benefit greatly from the
> summer of code.

Awesome idea, thanks for pushing it forward!

Not sure if it'd be a good idea or not, but we've never really managed
to collect and maintain a list of "easy hacks" that could be useful for
Google Code-In and, more generally, to ease the access path to Debian.

We've some technical support for it
http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/GiftTag , but we never managed to
encourage people to tag bugs and then to use the list of tagged bugs in
any useful way. (And possibly the name "gift" is not really appropriate
either...)

Given that you're thinking anyhow to teams who might have GSoC-like
tasks, it *might* make sense to also point them to the gift thingy and
encourage them to tags bug accordingly.  But it could also have the
disadvantage of diverting attention to two conflicting initiatives: GSoC
planning and "easy hacks" tagging.

I just wanted to mention this here, as a possibility, but I leave it to
you whether it'd be a good idea to mention both things when contacting
teams or not.

Cheers.