[Soc-coordination] Gsoc proposal from Charles

Paul Tagliamonte paultag at debian.org
Thu Mar 21 21:35:07 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:08:01PM +0100, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 14:38:03 +0100, olivier sallou wrote:
> >    Hi,
> >    I'd like to know how would this proposal be managed by potential
> >    student.
> >    Student will need a cloud access for experiments, and this
> >    is unfortunately not free.
> >    Amazon provide a free (mini) instance but storage capacity of this
> >    small instance may be too limited for such experiments and setup.
> >    Does it include automatic image generation scripts (from a Debian
> >    desktop/server and not cloning an image) or "just" connecting to an
> >    Amazon instance, add some scripting and save as new image ?
> >    First solution would be a perfect solution (for me and others), but is
> >    more complex, expecially with amazon.
> >    If additional co-mentors are required for the project, I can help (if
> >    any student proposal is valid...).
>
> A Debian GSoC project proposal, that needs 'non-free' and 'non free'
> services to work are a very bad idea in my opinion.
>
> Debian Social contract says at §4:
> 'Our priorities are our users and free software'

Without my GSoC hat on:

Please also note section 5: Works that do not meet our free software
  standards

> I hearby ask the Debian GSoC Coordination team to reject project
> applications, that need Amazon's (or any other commercial or non-free)
> cloud service to function properly.

Some other services have a compatable API:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStack#Amazon_Web_Services_compatibility

> Cheers,
> Martin

While I don't disagree non-free services aren't great, or even something
we should spend student-time on, I won't make such a decision [yet].

I mean, we do already use AWS time to do rebuilds for FTBFS testing. I'd
argue that's a good use of time, and results in a better Debian.

To your request:

I'll talk with the other SoC admins and see what the collective decision
is.