[Soc-coordination] Gsoc proposal from Charles

Greg DeKoenigsberg greg.dekoenigsberg at eucalyptus.com
Thu Mar 21 21:50:09 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Paul Tagliamonte <paultag at debian.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:08:01PM +0100, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 14:38:03 +0100, olivier sallou wrote:
> > >    Hi,
> > >    I'd like to know how would this proposal be managed by potential
> > >    student.
> > >    Student will need a cloud access for experiments, and this
> > >    is unfortunately not free.
> > >    Amazon provide a free (mini) instance but storage capacity of this
> > >    small instance may be too limited for such experiments and setup.
> > >    Does it include automatic image generation scripts (from a Debian
> > >    desktop/server and not cloning an image) or "just" connecting to an
> > >    Amazon instance, add some scripting and save as new image ?
> > >    First solution would be a perfect solution (for me and others), but
> is
> > >    more complex, expecially with amazon.
> > >    If additional co-mentors are required for the project, I can help
> (if
> > >    any student proposal is valid...).
> >
> > A Debian GSoC project proposal, that needs 'non-free' and 'non free'
> > services to work are a very bad idea in my opinion.
> >
> > Debian Social contract says at §4:
> > 'Our priorities are our users and free software'
>
> Without my GSoC hat on:
>
> Please also note section 5: Works that do not meet our free software
>   standards
>

> > I hearby ask the Debian GSoC Coordination team to reject project
> > applications, that need Amazon's (or any other commercial or non-free)
> > cloud service to function properly.
>
> Some other services have a compatable API:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStack#Amazon_Web_Services_compatibility
>

> > Cheers,
> > Martin
>
> While I don't disagree non-free services aren't great, or even something
> we should spend student-time on, I won't make such a decision [yet].
>
> I mean, we do already use AWS time to do rebuilds for FTBFS testing. I'd
> argue that's a good use of time, and results in a better Debian.
>
> To your request:
>
> I'll talk with the other SoC admins and see what the collective decision
> is.

Eucalyptus is GPLv3, follows the AWS API extremely closely, and satisfies
all of the requirements here.  Any image made for AWS should work against
Euca as well, and testing mechanisms can be made equivalent.  Happy to
provide guidance here.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg, Eucalyptus
Build your own AWS-compatible cloud in 30 minutes: