[Splashy-devel] Splashy time. when time resurrects

Vincenzo Ampolo vincenzo.ampolo@gmail.com
Tue, 24 May 2005 21:52:41 +0200

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 12:40 -0400, Luis M wrote:
> take into account that the C implementation is somewhat more complete
> than the C++ version right now, with the minor difference that the C++
> version reads vcs1 buffer (in RAM), which doesn't really add much time
> to the boot process (this is done in miliseconds).
>
> What makes the C version "slower" than C++ right now is the sleep
> calls either in C or in rc init scripts. I'll be removing this in the
> next few days so that you can redo your tests.

It depends to what we consider for complete...
Complete is when a program, a service or etc, works without any visible
error.
Look to our programs:
C version have about 2*number_of_the_lines_of_c++_code and it does not
recognize errors (that as you know could be found only by looking on
vcs1 because we cannot and don't want to modify /etc/rc) and it have a
problem in the shutdown: more people say that see one seconds the boot
messages before X is running.
In the other hand, C++ version is there, it just work with few lines of
code, C code has not all the features of C++ code (error searching) and
for now it works better.

About handling text, we know that if is not a work that will be done in
milliseconds, operations on strings need time. And remember we need
mainly a text reader since we wanna implement the verbose mode.

Don't think this is an attack to your and my work. I'll wait until
sleep() are dropped, i can't modify source since my account is still
unavailable and yes, i've mailed the alioth admin.

ON 28 i'll switch, in the meantime i'm working on animations on the C++
code, i tried to do the text parser in c but i've a lot of difficulties.