[Splashy-devel] Proposal to move to GIT

Luigi lemsx1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 05:55:57 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:
> "Luis Mondesi" <lemsx1 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Yes!!
> >
> > I was going to propose the same thing to you the other day. Git takes
> > a lot less space and is a lot easier to use than svk/svn.
> >
> > Let's merge our changes and get ready to switch to git.
>
> Yes.
>
> Another thing we ought to decide is if we should or not preserve the
> history.
>
> I personally has no strong opinion on it since SVK makes some
> confusion about logs and it makes sometimes difficult to read the
> backlog but it's more up to you and Tim then I since I've not been too
> active latelly.

Oh, we need to pull a fresh copy using svn or the svn import thingie
from git. But get the history directly from the svn repo, not from
svk's.

This is very desirable since, like you said, svk makes it difficult to
know what log is what. And subversion's way of keeping revisions is
highly inefficient. Git definitely rocks.

Let's get together Saturday (today) at 20:00 UTC to discuss?

For now, everybody should just merge their changes up and make sure
they don't work on the subversion tree anymore. (I was about to start
merging the RPM patches, but I'll wait until we move to git).

After switching to git, Splashy will be fully distributed. We still
need to keep the main package in git.debian.org though. Can you ask
for this from the Alioth masters? I guess we need to create a git
module first.

--
Luis Mondesi

----- START ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------
Gur Hohagh [Yvahk] qvfgevohgvba oevatf gur fcvevg bs Hohagh gb gur
fbsgjner jbeyq.
----- END ENCRYPTED BLOCK (Triple-ROT13) ------