[Teammetrics-discuss] The Database Phase

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Tue Jun 14 12:18:27 UTC 2011

Hi Sukhbir,

regarding to your concerns about the mailing list.  I've got this mail
twice - in this verison with the PS below.  So it seems that the list
is delivering mails to subscribers at least.

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 06:06:20PM +0530, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> We will be having the following columns in the database. I have parsed
> them from the mbox, so all that remains is saving them now.
>
> 1. Mailing list name

Probably you also need a mailing list URL field in addition.  In worst
case you can have list with the same name but on different list servers
(say Ubuntu would also start a teammetrics-discuss or so).

> 2. Name
> 3. Date (of the message)
> 4. Subject
> 5. Today's date
> 6. Email address
> 7. The length of the message body (of which I have great faith in!)

Fine for me, but please describe exactly what you are storing.  Perhaps
storing "full length of message body in lines" and "lines of message
without quotes" could be kept in two fields.  It might also make sense
to keep the raw number of characters for those people with broken MUAs
that uses only one line and let the MUA render the line break.

> I hope these are all OK.

In principle yes.

> The database configuration -- should we have that as variables or from
> a conf file?

I do not think so.  It should be kept in an SQL file in SVN - at least
I would consider this as sufficient.  Once this is done you can not do
much about configuration any more ...

> PS: It's OK if you are busy and can't reply :-) I will be doing some
> other tinkering till then.

I'm back (but will probably be offline tomorrow again).

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de