[Teammetrics-discuss] lists.debian.org solutions and problems

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Jun 29 10:02:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 02:12:24PM +0530, Sukhbir Singh wrote:

> 1. Parse the HTML

Done that in the past - works somehow.

> 2. Use NNTP but do away with the email address -- use it where we can
> else leave it blank where it is obfuscated.

Hmmm, I would really like to keep the e-mail addresses for the sake of
possibly detecting same person posting under different name (string).

> 3. Use the mbox archives provided by Gmane (poorest approach IMHO).

I did not really understand why you regard this poor.  Just because it
is that slow?  Finally it is a monthly cron job we need to run so the
download speed is not that important.  If it helps keeping your code
clean I do not see a real problem.  Or did I overlooked something.
Possibly also here no e-mail addresses which would make it similar to
NNTP information-wise?

> Which leads me to the final point -- I am surprised by the reaction of
> the list masters on this issue. ... Perhaps we should get in touch
> with the others then?

I possibly fruitfull way to get contact would be a face to face meeting
at DebConf.  However, we might loose some time waiting that long.

> I went to #debian-lists on

Perhaps you might like to ping on IRC?  (I would like to add that I'm
IRC-blind at working hours and can do it only in the evening - but I'm
very rarely there.)

> I never expected that we would run into so
> many problems in getting access to archives of public mailing lists

Me neither.

> :-)

Or rather :-(

> I hope I have made everything clear, now we should decide what to do.

Perhaps poking on IRC again and keep on working on the other stuff.  If
you have enough work to do until DebConf we should perhaps delay this
topic.  If we succeed the solution is perfectly simple if not we use one
of your proposed workarounds - preferably the one with full information.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de