[Teammetrics-discuss] lists.debian.org solutions and problems

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Jun 29 11:35:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 04:08:32PM +0530, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> > I did not really understand why you regard this poor.  Just because it
> > is that slow?  Finally it is a monthly cron job we need to run so the
> > download speed is not that important.  If it helps keeping your code
> > clean I do not see a real problem.
>
> It is painfully slow. So when I tried it with the debian-med mailing
> list, it was still running for thirty minutes and then it I stopped it
> because Gmane docs say that:

I have read your other mail about the difference with a web browser,
so this might (or might not) be solved.

>     This interface is a slight CPU and bandwidth hog, so if it's
> abused, it will be shut down.

If it is that terribly slow it might qualify as abuse.  Perhaps it might
be reasonable to ask whether our approach would be considered as this.
However, if it is incomplete anyway this does not make much sense...

> > Or did I overlooked something.
> > Possibly also here no e-mail addresses which would make it similar to
> > NNTP information-wise?
>
> The email address are not obfuscated in this approach :-) The only
> concern is the one mentioned above.

Hmmm, I'm waiting for another more detailed report about
"incompleteness" from yours.

> > Perhaps you might like to ping on IRC?  (I would like to add that I'm
> > IRC-blind at working hours and can do it only in the evening - but I'm
> > very rarely there.)
>
> Yes, I intend to :-) I am going to in fact!

:-)

> We will do it before DebConf so that we have lots of things to show
> for and the more we show, the more feedback we will get.

Sure.  But the feedback does not really corelate to the "number" of
mailing lists we investigated and beeing able to show Alioth mailing
lists for a starter and let people abstract that you can also
investigate others is cheap.  So spending to much time on this issue
might stop you implementing other things like SVN or uploads in UDD.

> So let me analyze the Gmane mbox archive method a little thoroughly +
> get in touch with them on IRC. The HTML parsing is our last resort.

Fine for me.  Just consider my remarks always as *hints* and feel free
to follow your own approach if you consider this more important.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de