[Teammetrics-discuss] MemoryError in commitstat

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Sep 14 13:07:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 05:28:51PM +0530, Sukhbir Singh wrote:

> Ok, so right now, we hit a MemoryError for blends.d.o when the script
> runs for a long time. If we shift the operation to Alioth, wouldn't we
> strain vasks during the same process that was straining blends.d.o?

We might avoid a lot of network traffic / delay.

> Or
> do you recommend this because Alioth has 15 GB RAM,

I did not thought about vasks is stuffed with more memory than blends -
I simply assume that several things are happening in this far connection
which we can only estimate if we *really* know what's happening in the
API you are using.  Blends.d.n is not *that* bad stuffed that I would
expect problems if things are working smoothly.  But there seems to be
something behind the scenes which might cause trouble.

> but still we need
> to let them know we are doing this, right?

You mean we should tell alioth admin that we are doing a monthly
statistics on some repositories???  I would think they are keen on
hearing more thrilling stories than this one.  I definitely do NOT
expect a job which kills some decent host - it is just the connection in
between which makes the hassle.  Just try to make sure you get some
preprocessed data in one rush.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--