[Tux4kids-discuss] Problem with Tux Racing repository system and apple app store...

Kento Locatelli me at klocatelli.name
Sat Jun 9 21:56:21 UTC 2012

Hey all!

I think we decided to use this mailing list for discussing GSoC project
things, right? Heh I hope so, otherwise this is in the wrong place :/
Anyway...

First, Tux Racing is definitely going to change name at some point... I
didn't think to check at the time, but there already are similarly
named  games.

But more importantly, I was talking to some people about the repository
system [1] Tux Racing uses and learned of two Apple App store rules that
are problematic for Tux Racing:
- Apps can't download code in any way, including Javascript code. But
that's exactly what the repository/practice module system does,
download/run/update untested (but trusted) 3rd party code.
- Apps can't be bundled websites. Again that's exactly what Tux Racing
is, pure html5 webapp.

Tux Racing violates both rules, and I'm not sure how to solve them... I
have two proposed solutions, but I'd really appreciate community input
on the matter:

- The simplest is to simply not publish in the App store and hope users
make it to the website and set up a Web Clip (basically an icon that
launches the website). We lose publicity from the App store, but retain
the module repository system to allow teachers to make their own
practice modules for students.

- The other is to remove the repository system and have everything
bundled locally in the app, which allows us to meet both of those
guideline requirements. We'll definitely get more iOS users, but
practice modules are no longer self-updating and it becomes harder for
3rd parties to create new modules for mobile platforms. In order for a
teacher to get their module working *in the Tux Racing mobile app*, they
have to get it bundled with Tux Racing, wait for users to update their
apps, and repeat the process for any updates. note this is removing the
repository system in general, not just for iOS.

I'm leaning towards the latter, but my reasoning is entirely based on
assumptions. My guess is if a teacher is creating a practice module,
simply forking TR will fulfill their needs. They can copy in their
module, upload to their website, and have students browse to the URL on
an internet-enabled device. Their module still works on mobile devices,
but through the web browser instead of the official app. Looks the same,
works the same, same code to hook in and everything. Furthermore, I
don't think there would be enough 3rd-party modules to justify not being
in the App store. Of course we can always re-add the repository system
and withdraw from the App store once more users know about the
application if it's determined the repository system is genuinely useful
in practice.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Do my assumptions hold? Is there a
better alternative to those two proposals?

Cheers!
Kento Locatelli

[1] - Tux Racing has a problem generator system. Repository system
allows adding/updating 3rd party problem generators to the game without
reinstalling/updating the application. The idea was for teachers to
create a problem generator for their students to practice, and give
their students a URL. The game then makes the new problem generators
available.