[Tux4kids-discuss] Problem with Tux Racing repository system and apple app store...

Kento Locatelli me at klocatelli.name
Sun Jun 10 09:51:57 UTC 2012

Hi all!

- Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush and really should have explained that
better... "Wrapping" would have been more accurate than "bundling", my
original intention was to use PhoneGap as a wrapper to the remote Tux
Racing webapp. Augment some of the features to take advantage of the
mobile platform (eg tactile feedback), but ultimately just a remote
website wrapped in an app so we could update without publishing a new
app to the app store. That's not allowed by Apple, and I guess for that
very reason (totally changing the app without Apple's permission). HTML5
apps *are* allowed, just not remote websites wrapped in an app. In our
case, that means simply moving the site from the web into the mobile
app. A very minor issue, it just means no auto-updates of the main app
either.

- I hadn't thought of that, that sounds like a great alternative. There
shouldn't be any barrier to using local storage, but I'll have to ask
Apple and find out for sure. Loading code from an SD card could still be
a security concern for them I guess... but if not, I can't think of any
problems. The File API and drag-and-drop is support by about 50% of
desktop browsers right now, but we can fall back on flash for now.

- I like changing to rockets as well, it's more appealing. Spaceships
whizzing around, asteroids, aliens, planets... much more fun. Maybe for
variety some lightning-round bosses where the player has to answer
faster than normal to beat an NPC or escape a black-hole? I'm not sure
whether it falls under fair use, but it could be fun to allow players to
upgrade to some famous spaceships of history and scifi as well. Maybe
"Tux, Space Explorer"?

Thanks!
Kento