[Tux4kids-discuss] Tux4kids browser versions

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Apr 11 21:58:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:55:19PM +0200, Silviu Tantos wrote:
>    Would there be any interest in porting either Tux Typing or Tux Paint (or
>    maybe both) as browser games?

Hi Silviu.  Over the years, I've had some people ask if Tux Paint can be
"played online", or if it can be included in some child-oriented website or
another.  A web-based game (Java or Flash, I imagine?) would be great.

I would not want it to be a rewrite, though.  I'd want it to be just
another port, like how we have ports for Linux, Windows, Mac, and no iOS
(though the latter has yet to be integrated into the main codebase).

I've seen some SDL-based games ported to a web interface (Stella Atari 2600
emulator, I think?)

I have a note over on SourceForge to look into NestedVM, which works by
compiling code to a MIPS binary, which is then translated into a Java class
( http://sourceforge.net/p/tuxpaint/feature-requests/163/
http://nestedvm.ibex.org/ )

I'm actually not sure if this is what people use to port SDL-based games
to the web, but it was somehting I stumbled upon that looked promising.

Thanks,

-bill!

>    I'm not talking about the Tux4kids Mobile proposal, that addresses
>    Tux4kids only on mobiles.
>    Some advantages:
>    - The games can be hosted in one central location that can be access from
>    anywhere
>    - Cross platform
>    - No installation or updating required
>    - Could be bundled as Android/iOS apps using Phonegap
>    - Possibility of distribution as an offline desktop application with the
>    advantage of no dependencies required
>    --
>    Silviu Tantos - Developer / System Administrator
>    Mobile: (+45) 5222.3852
>    Webpage: http://www.razius.com/

-bill!
Sent from my computer