[Tux4kids-discuss] GSoC Proposal [Feedback Requested]

Thomas Price thomaswprice at msn.com
Mon Apr 22 15:00:54 UTC 2013

Hello T4K developers, I know you're getting swamped with emails, so I'll
make this brief.

I'd like to develop a *mobile application* for Tux4Kids during *GSoC*. I
think your games are great, but they could go beyond just practicing
arithmetic. After all, arithmetic is only a tool we use to do math. So,
I'd like to develop *an algebra learning game*, based around the idea of
balance. The game would present players with a beam (representing an
equation), balanced on a fulcrum (the equals sign), with weights
(positive numbers) and balloons (negative numbers) on either side. The
player is tasked with freeing Tux (who represents the variable), by
moving all the balloons and weights on his side of the beam to the other
side (thus solving for the variable). The player must keep the beam (and
the equation) balanced the whole time. This could be expanded to include
multiplication and division as well.

If you have a moment, I'd love to get feedback on three things:
-What do you think of the game idea? *Any suggestions*?
-I know you want a multi-platform game (mobile, web, etc.). Were you
happy with how HaXe/NME worked for Tuxmath Mobile? I compiled the source
and testing on Android seemed a little clunky, but it did work. However,
I'm an experienced Android/Java game programmer, and you mentioned Java
as another option. *Would you be very disappointed if a proposal didn't
include iOS* *as a target platform*?
-I see you're getting a lot of project proposals for mobile games. Is
there anything you're particularly looking for in a project/student for
that project?

Thanks so much for your help,
-Thomas Price