[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] TuxType thanks and new bug - Spanish Missile command

David Bruce dbruce at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 28 11:29:50 UTC 2008

Hi,

> It seems that setting tuxtype to Spanish, Tux type games like missile
> command don't work, on a Ubuntu box.
>

> Steps to reproduce:
> ==========================
> Get a working PC and wipe the HD
> install Ubuntu 7.10 in Spanish from the start
> keyboard setup in Ubuntu is for a US keyboard
> use the synaptic package manager to get tuxtype
> start tuxtype and change to spanish
> play keycascade , it works ok
> try to play the missile command game
>
> result:
> and the missile game fails
> see a word like agua
> pressing the letter agua will not zap the word

I have an Ubuntu 7.10 machine I can test this on later today - I don't know
what version of tuxtype is in that Ubuntu release.  This vaguely sounds like
something I encountered a few months ago when the internals of tuxtype
relating to Unicode, UTF-8 and the like were all getting redone.

I have used that Ubuntu box to work on both tuxtype and tuxmath, and the
current builds of both games work fine.  Try downloading the current tar.gz
from the Alioth site and building it, if you like.  You need the *-dev
packages for SDL, SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf, and SDLPango, which you can
install with Synaptic (or Aptitude).  The build itself is just
a "tar -xzf ...; cd tuxtype...; ./configure; make; sudo make install".

--
David Bruce