[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] TuxType thanks and new bug - Spanish Missile command

David Bruce dbruce at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 6 01:29:08 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 06:20:46 am matt.redding wrote:
> Hi David and others,
>
> I've got a recently installed Ubuntu box, and have had no luck at all
> getting
> Tuxtype to work.

I'll try to text that exact build at my Ubuntu 7.10 box at my office
tommorrow.

> Having installed from src

Was it the source tar.gz from our Alioth site (just to be sure we are testing
the same build?

http://alioth.debian.org/frs/download.php/2209/tuxtype_w_fonts-1.5.16.tar.gz

> this is what I hear from it:
>
> LoadSettings: Settings file does not exist! settings not loaded

Don't worry about that - the settings file is just a way for a language theme
to request a specific font - I guess we should change the message to
something less scary-sounding.

> Couldn't initialize SDL: No available video device

That's important - it means that SDL cannot get access to use your monitor
(tuxtype runs fullscreen by default).

I don't know why that should be, but try running it in a window
using "tuxtype -w"  (or maybe "tuxtype -w -d" to also get the debugging
output).

If it works in a window, it would be useful to know if other SDL apps can run
fullscreen on your machine, e.g tuxmath (using "tuxmath -f"), tuxpaint
("tuxpaint -f"), or any other of the large number of SDL-based apps available
in Ubuntu.

If there is something specific about tuxtype that is broken, I would really
like to get it fixed.

Hope this helps.

--
David Bruce