[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Google Summer Of Code 2008 - Questions on the project ideas

Andreas Schütte schuette.a at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 19 09:19:35 UTC 2008

Hello Mailing List,

I am writing to you because I am a student who wants to write code for your
project for the Google Summer Of Code-project. I hope this is the best way
to write to all (or at least most) of the developers.

When I saw your Ideas-List, I felt enthusiastic about working out the
ideas proposed. I mostly liked ideas for TuxType, so i guess I will focus on
this project. I am thinking about doing some minor works on the other two
projects. Do you think this would be possible or do you prefer one student
working on _one_ project?

Until now, I have only read the messages sent in March on your mailing list.
I don't really know what you mean by "*Rearrange source* tree into a more
sane state.". Could you explain this? Do you mean moving the location of the
source files into appropriate folders?

What benefit do you think does "Auto-detection of *"typeable"
characters*via SDL or native OS APIs."? Actually, I don't know why the
typeable
characters need to be detected, as the words and therefore the characters,
which are to be typed, seem to be hardcoded depending on the language
setting chosen. Are you thinking about generating random characters (not
real words as in the current game types) which are to be typed in some
additional game type?

The other ideas seem clear to me. I would like to work on _all_ the ideas
proposed for TuxType, because none of the ideas themselves seems adequate
for a 3-months-work.

I am German and therefore have a German keyboard layout. Playing all the
games you are developing, I noticed that I have press to press the key to
the right of the "0"-key to get the minus sign. On my keyboard, there is a
special German character and the key is labeled "ß". I guess this is due to
the different keyboard layouts. I would therefore propose dealing wih this
bug(?) as another idea for TuxMath.

Greetings,
Andreas Schütte