[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Google SOC

Max Usachev maxusachev at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 22:59:56 UTC 2008

Hi!
I'm also interested in helping to improve Tuxtype participating in GSoC.
I am a student of University of Informatics and Radioelectronics in Minsk,
Belarus.
I have choosen your project, because I have recently written keyboard
training program for blind people.
My father mastered keyboard using my program.

My thoughts and ideas so far?
Use GNU gettext for localization - completely agree. Shouldn't take much
time and definitely worth doing.

More content (practice sentences, finger exercises, etc.):
I'd suggest to add new teach methods, based on special typewriting courses.
For example, add special lessons for left/right hand, for functional keys
and so on..

It would also be good to add some 'intelligence' to the program: calculation
of number of mistakes and
other statistics, changing task "on the fly" depending on how it goes.

Having in-game support for editing words and lessons would be very
convenient for users -  it's exactly what's needed.

I'd also propose to add special mode for blind people. In my keyboard
simulator I implemented two training modes:
letters and words pronunciation, i.e. all tasks and error messages were
pronounced. I think it's not very difficult to implement also.

About Auto-detection of "typeable" characters:
I looked at the sources of port Tuxtype port for Maemo(www.maemo.org) and
found out that their version of SDL doesn't return
any unicode symbols at all, only keycodes. Despite of this fact they manage
to make tuxtype working by adding one optional
field to keyboards.lst file - keycode. What do you think about this
approach?
If you're interested in looking at their changes I can prepare patches and
send them to this list.

Best regards, Max Usachev.