[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] SoC ideas questions

Augustus Lidaka alidaka at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 21:30:51 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

My name is Jay Lidaka. I'm a sophomore, computer science major at
Grinnell College in Grinnell, Iowa, US. I have experience working in C
but not libSDL (full CV:
http://www.cs.grinnell.edu/~lidakaau/cv.html). I have not yet
participated in any open source or community software development, but
hopefully that will change with Google Summer of Code :).

I've poked around a bit in IRC and played TuxMath and TuxType; I would
like to apply at least for a TuxType project. The ideas list item
about rearranging the source tree "into a more sane state" sounds
interesting, but I'm not exactly sure what it would entail. If I
worked on that, would I have to refactor a bunch of code? Simply
create a few new directories and swap some files around, making sure
all of the #include statements are preserved? Right now it looks like
the biggest issue is just the high number of files stored right in
tuxtype/trunk and tuxtype/trunk/tuxtype.

I'm also interested in adding in-game support for changing or making
new exercises. Is there anything that I should know before writing my
full project proposal?

If reorganizing the source tree really isn't too complicated a task, I
would be excited to try working on both projects over the summer. I
could start researching and familiarizing myself with the code base
fairly soon and will be working the full 40 hours each week once the
coding begins officially.

Thanks for your help,
Jay