[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Google Summer of Code student seeks mentor

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Wed Mar 26 10:36:58 UTC 2008

Hi David,

On Sunday 23 March 2008 18:22, David Bruce wrote:
> Yes, I'm the one for anything related to tuxtype.  I have been working on
> tuxmath and tuxtype as a hobby activity for about three years - I'm a
> transplant surgeon in "real life", not a programmer.  I did a fair amount
> of CS as an undergrad before deciding to go to medical school, but it was a
> while ago (on punch cards in a language called "AlgolW").  I taught myself
> C and C++ about ten years ago and have gradually gained experience through
> free/open source projects.
>
> So - I do not have a degree in computer science, if that matters.

I dont think it matters. During the last three years you have become familar
with the code base, have brought it into the shape that it is in now (which
for all I can say is a huge improvement), have developed many ideas (which
you now can "throw" at the students) and are generally - together with Tim
Holy - the person who has the best overview about the tuxtype and tuxmath
codebase.

(And in real life you're a doctor, wow!)

So I was really happy when I read you and Tim applied for being mentors :-)

What's the next step that needs to be done in GSoC? The students pick their
projects they want to work on? You assign students some work? Both are valid
options?

David, Tim: I think those students should apply to become tux4kids alioth
project members, so that they can commit to svn and work in their own
branches, like the malayalam support was added. What do you think?

(And my job would then to grant access as you tell me to do :)

> Tuxtype in its current form is limited by its "reinvention of the wheel",
> with its own home-brewed gettext and failure to take into account the
> user's locale and keyboard setup.  I'm not sure how readily this invasive
> stuff can be addressed in a summer project.

I'm not sure about the details either, but I definitly think this (gettext!)
should and can be done this summer. And that it would totally rock if that
get's done! :-)

regards,
	Holger