[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tuxtype branch for big overhaul

David Bruce dbruce at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Mar 28 16:28:32 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've made a new branch in svn called "tuxtypereorg", for the reorganization of
the source tree and other changes that are likely to break things for a
while.  I've made subdirs for src, doc, data, and updated Makefile.am's and
configure.ac accordingly.  It seems to build and install correctly but needs
more testing.  I'm also trying to do some uncrufting - there are lots of
files in the tree that have no obvious function.  If you have time, it would
be helpful if you can build and install the new branch and report any
problems.

I am planning to release a tuxtype-1.5.17 today as the last release prior to
the overhaul, using the code in trunk.  It is almost the same as 1.5.16, with
a couple of additional themes and some cosmetic menu work.

The new Nepali theme requires an additional font, lohit-hi.ttf, which provided
by the Debian package ttf-devanagari-fonts.  There is another theme in the
works, Sinhala, that isn't quite ready yet, but will likely require yet
another font.  As the number of fonts grows, it is becoming more important
for someone (perhaps me) to fix tuxtype so it reacts gracefully if a
requested font cannot be loaded (at present, this causes a segfault).  We
could then change the Debian dependencies for fonts to "recommends"
(or "suggests", or whatever the correct term is).

Cheers,

--
David Bruce