[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Status of Tuxmath and Tux Typing releases

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 18:10:21 UTC 2008

Hello,

I've been hoping to get new releases of tuxmath and tuxtype out "real soon
now", and it hasn't happened yet because of my being swamped at work, but
also with some issues that need to be fixed in the programs.  These may not
be severe enough to stop the release, but I would hope we get them fixed
soon.  These are based on current svn.

Tuxmath:
1.  Factoroids segfaults at the start of the activity about 10% of the time
when tested fullscreen on Windows.  I haven't seen this on Linux or in
windowed mode, but I haven't tested these a large number of times.  The
output available on Windows (stderr.txt and stdout.txt) isn't very
informative, but it seems it may occur when the sprites (rocks) are being
drawn.  Maybe some of the random initial positions result in memory
locations being accessed outside of what is allowed.

Tuxtype:
1.  "Lessons" seems to be broken, somehow going into the "Practice" phrase
typing activity after loading the selected script.  Unfortunately, I have
only a vague grasp of our home-brewed interpreter (scripting.c) for the
xml-based lessons, as it pre-dates my involvement in the project.  Unless
someone else can debug and support this activity, we may need to inactivate
it for the time being.  I would hate to do so, because the Indic team has
contributed a lot of very nice lessons files for the Indic language themes.
2.  Changes in locale are not reflected in the menus immediately.
3.  My Windows crossbuild of tuxtype now fails, because configure.ac expects
libintl to be available externally, and my crossbuild environment doesn't
have it (because tuxmath has its own in-tree intl directory).  I can likely
add libintl to the build environment, but I would rather have tuxtype and
tuxmath be the same in this regard.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  I do not expect to have
much time at all for tux4kids for at least the next few days.

Cheers,

David Bruce