[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] [Tuxmath-devel] TuxMath and TuxType BeOS ports

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 12:00:33 UTC 2009

Hi Luc,

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Schrijvers Luc <Begasus at skynet.be> wrote:
> Great thanks!!
>
> I can confirm that with the latest changes I've got both tuxmath and
> tuxtype working again on ZETA, Haiku has been a problem for a while now,
> there is an open ticket about sdl apps not being able to load graphic
> files etc ... http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/2667
>
> The locale themes files are still a problem for tuxtype though, I've
> pasted the output (partial) from tuxtype -d at
> http://zeta-games.pastebin.com/m51481010
>
> They probably suffer from the same as not being able to load the data
> files? Looking at the error msg tuxtype seems to be looking for the
> image files in the themes folder, maybe they need to be linked to the
> main image folder?

It looks like it is generating spurious error messages.  For example,
the nederlands theme in the source tree doesn't have an images subdir.

Tuxtype has a gettext-like scheme to allow themes to provide
substitute data files (images, sounds, words) in place of the
"default" files in the main English theme.  The program first looks
for a file in the path for the theme (e.g.
$prefix/share/tuxtype/themes/nederlands/images/tux0.png), and if it
doesn't find it it trys to load the counterpart from the default path
(e.g. $prefix/share/tuxtype/images/tux0.png).  It looks like it is
printing an error everytime it "falls back" to the default image.
This can be cleaned up for the next version.

Apart from the messages, do the themes seem to work correctly (are the
correct word files being used)?  You can also look at some of the
themes to see if they use their theme-specific image files
appropriately.  For example, the Jamaican theme uses a humorous image
of Tux wearing a colorful Jamaican hat.

Cheers,

David