[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Corrected French .po file + .desktop file translation for Tux Typing

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 15:08:19 UTC 2009

Hi Loïc,

> That's probably why I can't find any watch file or get-orig-source target in
> debian/rules, since it would probably be a pain to write with that system.
> Maybe Holger Levsen has a better idea, but would it be possible to also link
> to the font-less tarball in the download page, or in a public place?

I would just be worried about less technical users grabbing the
fontless one by mistake, until we get font handling fixed.  Plus, you
can make a fontless tarball from the tarball with fonts by running a
"make dist" on it.  I confirmed that it works just now.

> I understand, especially for Windows/OSX. I'll have a look how Holger does
> it for the Debian 1.7.3+ package,  but it might be similar to the font
> situation - it might not be necessary to include those files in the tarball
> for packagers (recreating them at package creation time is better, since one
> only has to patch the .po files when there's something to fix).

Regarding the .gmo files, tuxtype and tuxmath just use the default
behavior of "make dist" as set up by automake to decide what to
include.  We haven't done any special coding to get them into the
tarball.  If other tarballs don't have .gmo files, maybe there is
something about the process I don't understand correctly.  I'll look
into it.

>>> - is the tuxtype.ico file only used for Windows (or OSX, I'm no expert),
>>> or
>>> is it used for anything on *nix?
>>> - is it possible to include either a 32x32 .xmp icon, a 42x42 .png
>>> (preferably the latter, unless Holger objects), or even better an .svg?
>>

> I was surprised, so I looked into tuxmath Ubuntu package (Jaunty version).
> The only .svg is in /data/images/igloos/composite.svg,

It might have been something made specifically for the netbook release
by either Canonical or even Dell - I had never seen it before when
checking to see what versions of tuxmath are in various Ubuntu
releases.  All I did so far was to stick it into svn (it is at
data/images/icons/tuxmath.svg, IIRC.  It does not get used for
anything as of yet, and there has not been a release since then.

> and I don't think
> it's used (even though I couldn't manage to run the game in higher
> resolution than the default one, the option --fullscreen doesn't use a
> higher resolution).

The versions that support higher resolution (1.7+) aren't in Ubuntu yet.

> I'll have a look what I can come up with. The best solution when using
> bitmaps should be to export them at the highest resolution possible (25XX or
> at least 1920x1200) then scale down, instead of the reverse.

Our current "high-resolution" backgrounds in tuxmath are something
like 1280x1024 - basically I used the full resolution of the jpegs
from which the backgrounds were made and adjusted them a bit (mostly
cropping and pasting in the lunar landscape) to fit a commonly used
desktop resolution.  The code would handle higher resolution images
just fine, but there isn't any point unless we
start with higher-resolution images.  Also, the scaling time is
noticable on old, slow hardware, and will be greater if we start with
larger images.  The OLPC XO takes several seconds to switch
backgrounds with the current build of tuxmath.

In tuxtype, fullscreen runs at native resolution  (in 1.7 and after)
but we haven't gotten around to replacing the old 640x480 backgrounds,
so they just get scaled up and don't look that great.  Tuxtype could
certainly use a visual makeover, with better backgrounds and menu
sprite icons for the rest of the menu entries, even before we start
supporting svg.  Along similar lines, we should look for new music to
replace the "non-free" music files, which are basically
"shareware/freeware"-type material without licensing documentation.

Best,

David