[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] GSoC idea

Sreyas Kurumanghat Sreyas_Kurumanghat at infosys.com
Mon Feb 23 05:22:59 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

Seems like the  discussion on the GSoC ideas are going good. I would like to contribute some ideas for tuxtype this year:

I still think that the practice game is incomplete compared to other games in tuxtype. The first thing about the practice game is that it lacks practice content. This is not a big problem as anyone can add phrases to the phrases.txt file. But the game doesn't  support multiline phrases. It does support phrases of upto 2 lines long, but if the length exceeds this, I doesn't support that. I think that this is something to look into. If a user wants to practice typing, he may want to type more than 2 lines. I think we should have something like scrollable text. That is, when we go beyond the second line, the next line automatically comes below the current line and the first line disappear. This must be done in a slow and nice way so that the children using this will find it good.

The next idea I thought of was, instead of showing the time between each keypress in the practice game, we can have something more eye catching, so that the children may like it better. I propose something like a graph showing the speed variation or something like Tux cycling on an exercise machine, the speed which varies with the speed of the typing.

I would like to know your take on all these.

Thanks,

Sreyas Kurumanghat

Infosys e-mail system.