[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tuxtype-1.7.2 tarball posted - RPMs ready

Lars Vogdt lars at linux-schulserver.de
Wed Jan 21 08:37:23 UTC 2009

On Mittwoch 21 Januar 2009 02:05:33 David Bruce wrote:
> Hi Lars,
>
> On 1/20/09, Lars Vogdt <lars at linux-schulserver.de> wrote:
> > Just FYI: 1.7.2 rpm packages are available for:
> > - Mandriva 2009
> > - Fedora 9
> > - Fedora 10
> > - all openSUSE distributions
>
> That is extraordinarily cool!  Thanks a million!  I also see that
> tuxmath-1.7.0 is currently building for Mandriva 2009, with the other
> distros already successfully done.
>
> Is this the result of fixes for the overall OBS support for Mandriva,
> or were modifications to tuxtype itself (or the spec file) needed?

It's a mix of adaptions in the specfile (some %if %distro_version
[...]-tags) and changes in the build setup of the project. (disabling
debug-packages for mandriva for example).

> How would you suggest we make these available to users who come to
> our project's site looking for rpms?  Is it OK for us just to provide
> a link to where they can find the package in the opensuse build
> system? I could post all these packages at our site, at the risk of
> making our "file releases" page even more confusing to people.

Good question. Here are my 5min brainstorming ideas ;-)

* Some people from other distros might be confused if you link to
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Education/
for all distributions. ...and you'll find additional packages in the
repositories provided there - not only tuxmath/tuxtype. This might be
confusing. Otherwise, the repositories there can simply be added as
full-fledged repositories and should always contain the newest
packages.

* looking at the current threat in the tuxtype mailinglist, you're
already talking about a "rewrite" of the current webpage.
Perhaps it's possible to present a formular (Note: the browsers from
some distributions already sent Informations in the headers) where
people can easily select their download. (see
http://software.opensuse.org/search for example).

* Perhaps (just an idea) someone with enough (build-)power decides to
provide an own build service under a uniform resp. neutral URL in the
future. Something like "packages.sf.net/tuxtype" or something like
that. But that's currently out of reach, IMO ;-)

* BTW: @David and other developers: https://hermes.opensuse.org/ allows
you to configure notifications (currently via email or rss)  for your
packages. So you're informed if someone (requests) changes (to) your
packages.

> p.s. - fwiw, I'm about to post a tuxmath-1.7.1 that includes the
> various small issues we've addressed in the last few weeks.

Cool! :-)

With kind regards,
Lars