[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] GSOC thread

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 13:57:27 UTC 2009

Hi Bristow,

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Bristow Thankachan
<bristow.thankachan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David and Caroline,
>
> A few days back there was a discussion on adding sound files, I 've just
> started to think about the various possibilities. I've tried using festival
> code with tuxtype to produce sound. But as I'm having university exams right
> now, I was not able to look on to the topic further. But as Caroline said it
> wouldn't be a part of GSOC 2009, is n't it??

Adding text-to-sound capability to tuxtype in some way could
definitely be a GSoC project.

What Caroline meant is that GSoC won't sponsor a project that just
involves creating new artwork, sounds, etc. for the program - the
project has to involve actual programming.  Tuxtype needs a facelift,
so to speak, in the form of new sounds and graphics, but that is a
separate issue from GSoC.

As for whether anyone else is working on it, no one has done anything
in any official capacity or submitted any patches along those lines.
People may be working on it on their own as you have indicated.

David Bruce