[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] tuxtype progress control

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Wed Nov 4 00:53:13 UTC 2009

Hi Uwe! I'm really happy to see you're interested in this.

If you look very shortly back into the mailing list archives (starting
with this post:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/tux4kids-tuxtype-dev/2009-October/000496.html
) you will see what we've discussed so far. IANAP but I can help you out
with what might be needed/wanted for something like this (it would be
more about the specifics of what *kind* of data is collected, but not so
much about the back-end (Im sure we can figure that out on our own ;) )

I'll be asking teachers and existing school technicians what kind of
data they need to be effective in grading students' progress). I will
send an e-mail to them right after I'm done writing this.

Thank you so much for your interest. I would absolutely love to see this
become a reality and for many, many more schools to adopt TuxType (at
least) as a main typing tutor because of this necessity.

Cheers,
Jordan

uwe wrote:
> hello everybody,
>
> my name is uwe, I am from germany, 45 years old, I have 3 kids and I am
> working as an IT manager for a big company in Switzerland. I am an
> allrounder but with emphasis on data: databases, migrations,
> convertions, databases, datawarehouses and business intelligence. but I
> am also programming in Java, using apache velocity, beanshell, groovy
> and so on.
>
> apart from my daily work, I am teaching Linux 2 hours a week at our
> local school to kids of 10-13 years (30 kids). this is my third year I
> do this using Edubuntu and LTSP.
>
> in a chat on IRC some had a discussion about having a sort of progress
> control in tuytype. so that the correct hits or the errors can be
> tracked and evaluated.
>
> if there is interest I am willing to spend my time for this project,
> doing some programming or database work or whatever is required.
>
> It would be good to collect some requirements or thoughts on this issue
> to give me an idea. I don't have experience with tuytype or a similar
> typing software.
>
> I wish you a nice evening.
>
> uwe

Jordan Erickson
Owner, Logical Networking Solutions
http://www.logicalnetworking.net
707-636-5678

* Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail *

Latest LNS Blogs - http://blog.logicalnetworking.net

	PulseAudio creator talks about the future of Linux audio
	10/GUI: A new idea for interacting with your computer (video)
	Nokia + Open Source Software = Success