[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Some issues that I see with 1.8.0

Matthew McSpadden webmaster at anvilsmithtech.com
Wed Nov 11 14:48:33 UTC 2009

Hey all,
Just wanted to run by you guys some things that I noticed when testing
and setting up tuxtype on our computer lab here at school.

1. When you hover over the icon it says run Tuxtype 2, it's not a big
deal, I think it is just left over from previous things.

2. My first problem with tuxtype 1.8.0 is the new words lists. And i'd
like to share how I fixed it in my case. Let me say that I LOVE this
feature and am looking forward to using it. It would allow the students
to come in with their spelling words, make a list and then play games to
practice them. The problem that I ran into is that we are using a
domain. Which means the students are all on limited accounts so that
they can't mess up the computers too badly. But this also means that
they do not have permissions to create new lists. I got around this by
giving them all permissions to the tuxtype folder in program files, but
it seems to me that if we are going to offer this custom lists thing,
that it aught to be stored in the users application data folder, rather
than in program files. This would allow users to bring word lists with
them from computer to computer if they use roaming profiles, and also
would make it easier to back up custom word lists and move to another
computer. Just a thought. I don't know if you could change the file path
without much work or not.

3. Long words.... particularly anything over about 10 letters. I was
trying to create a list for the 50 states of the USA for my students,
and I created one with about 10 of them to test, and found that it kept
repeating like the same 4 states, never did the others. I tracked it
down to the other words being too long? Is the only thing that I could
find, more than 10 would not fit on the screen so they ignored those
words? Could something be done to allow for longer words later on, and
maybe in the mean time put some notation in the new words lists that
says max word length is x amount?

I love the new backgrounds and new music, overall seems to be a really
nice setup. I like the update, please keep doing what you guys do.

Matt