[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux Typing 1.8.0

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 04:25:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

So I think I've got the rpm packaging straightened out with respect to
the localstatedir stuff - there should be working rpms showing up on
the openSUSE build service over the next few hours.

Relevant observations:
1. The %configure section needs to have --localstatedir=_localstatedir/lib
2. The %install section needs to install localstatedir/lib/tuxtype and
localstatedir/lib/tuxtype/words
3. The%files section needs to set the permissions for these
directories to something non-world-writable, or RPM refuses to build
the package due to "badness threshold exceeded".

The last one pretty much squashes my idea to have world-writeable
word lists in /var/lib/tuxtype, without some post-install adjustments
by the administrator.  As it stands now, "make install" creates
world-writeable files, but RPM is telling me that this is a bad idea
security-wise, so maybe I should change it.

So I'm still a bit confused as to whether there is a "correct" way for
an app to have user-modifiable data that is shared among users.

Cheers,

David