[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux Typing 1.8.0

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Tue Nov 24 13:20:54 UTC 2009

Hi David,

On Mittwoch, 18. November 2009, David Bruce wrote:
> Relevant observations:
> 1. The %configure section needs to have --localstatedir=_localstatedir/lib
> 2. The %install section needs to install localstatedir/lib/tuxtype and
> localstatedir/lib/tuxtype/words
> 3. The%files section needs to set the permissions for these
> directories to something non-world-writable, or RPM refuses to build
> the package due to "badness threshold exceeded".

Ah.

> The last one pretty much squashes my idea to have world-writeable
> word lists in /var/lib/tuxtype, without some post-install adjustments
> by the administrator.  As it stands now, "make install" creates
> world-writeable files, but RPM is telling me that this is a bad idea
> security-wise, so maybe I should change it.
>
> So I'm still a bit confused as to whether there is a "correct" way for
> an app to have user-modifiable data that is shared among users.

I think the (unix/Debian) way to go is: make tuxtype setgid games and then
save the wordlists in /var/games/tuxtype/words and chmod 2755 that directory,
see
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-customized-programs.html#s11.11

(/var/games because of
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARGAMESVARIABLEGAMEDATA)

You are free to use the games group for this purpose, or you could create a
tuxtype or tux4kids group, from the latter I prefer tux4kids, but overall I
think games is good enough.

regards,
	Holger