[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux Typing 1.8.0

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 15:54:34 UTC 2009

Hi Holger,

> I think the (unix/Debian) way to go is: make tuxtype setgid games and then
> save the wordlists in /var/games/tuxtype/words and chmod 2755 that directory,
> see
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-customized-programs.html#s11.11
>
> (/var/games because of
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARGAMESVARIABLEGAMEDATA)
>
> You are free to use the games group for this purpose, or you could create a
> tuxtype or tux4kids group, from the latter I prefer tux4kids, but overall I
> think games is good enough.

This is really helpful - I've incorporated these recommendations.  So
now tuxtype's "make install" does this (from Makefile.am):

# Global sites for game state data:
	$(MKDIR_P) -m 2755 $(DESTDIR)$(pkglocalstatedir)
	$(MKDIR_P) -m 2755 $(DESTDIR)$(pkglocalstatedir)/words
	chown root:games $(DESTDIR)$(pkglocalstatedir)
	chown root:games $(DESTDIR)$(pkglocalstatedir)/words

Any glaring security problems in the above?

The %configure part of the rpm specfile now has
--localstatedir=%_localstatedir/games (instead of
%_localstatedir/lib).

Hopefully the rpm packaging program will be OK with the above - the
build servers seem to be busy at the moment.

Cheers,

David