[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Response from school staff regarding progress tracking

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Fri Nov 20 01:05:11 UTC 2009

http://logicalnetworking.net/wiki/doku.php?id=tuxtyping

I have put together a little wiki section for what we're discussing so
we can kind of centralize information here - I hope nobody minds me
blatantly ripping off message threads and images! Right now only I can
edit the page, if anyone would like to add/change content (there isn't
much yet besides what's been discussed here in the list) please e-mail
me or post to this thread. I will keep up on it as best I can.

As far as the requirements, I think we should all agree on a very solid
baseline of requirements for reporting functionality. That way we can
move forward with a goal, even if it is very simple at first, and expand
as we build a solid foundation.

Right now, from our previous messages, this is what I'm coming up with
as far as requirements for reporting/tracking:

* DIMENSIONS *

- Student
- Class/Teacher
- Grade
- Age
- Language

* FACTS *

- Time spent:
   - How many lessons have they attempted to complete?
   - How much time did they spend in each lesson?

- Accuracy/Speed:
   - # of characters/words/sentences have they typed correctly vs errors
   - Number of characters/words/sentences per minute typed

- Trends/Averages/Best of:
   - Last lesson completed (and all data pertaining to that lesson)
   - Evaluate current stats vs. last day/week/month/etc.
   -Where is the student in the lesson plan vs. where, according to a
standard, should they be?
   - Average overall improvement/decrease
   - Student average vs. group overall average
   - Top/bottom performing students

* OTHER *
- Name at top of screen for teacher to see
- (A *must*): Customizable goals by teacher/admin staff, per-dimension
(%N accuracy to pass, %N speed, etc.)

Cheers,
Jordan