[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] tuxtype localization

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 13:48:36 UTC 2010

Hi,

Currently Tux Typing does not correctly handle keyboard input that
requires more than one keypress for a single Unicode character, which
is the case for many Eastern languages.  SDL (at least 1.2, not sure
if this is finalized for 1.3) does not provide any such support
built-in.

Tux Paint added its own "input methods" code to provide this
capability, written by Mark Kim (cc'd on this message).  A few months
ago I copied those files into Tux Typing, began studying them, and
partially adapted them for use.  They are called input_methods.c/h in
tuxtype.  However, I didn't really get to the bottom of understanding
just how to use the code within the game, and the code is not yet
used.

Now that tuxmath and tuxtype are being refactored to use a common
library for shared code (called "t4k_common"), I think the input
methods stuff should logically go into that library.  Once we get this
figured out, each new language may require an im file to tell the
program how to interpret sequential keypresses.

Hope that helps,

David Bruce