[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Thai translation of Tuxtype

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 18:57:14 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I can confirm that the tuxtype packages in Ubuntu Lucid
(tuxtype_1.8.0-1_i386.deb  tuxtype-data_1.8.0-1_all.deb) are indeed
missing all the .gmo files.  As a result, all the menus display in
English irrespective of the theme selected.  The themes themselves are
there, with the language-specific word lists. I know I have all the
needed locales, fonts, etc. on this Lucid machine, because NLS works
properly if I build and install tuxtype from source.

I'm wondering if the Debian packaging is missing the .gmo files due to
some changes occurring leading up to 1.8.0.  Basically, tuxtype's
"make install" needs to be done with sudo or as root, even within the
user's home directory, because it runs "chown root:games" on the
custom word list directory.  I don't know the specifics of how the
.deb packages get created, but I am wondering if somehow the .gmo
files no longer get made in the packaging process because of this
permission issue.  The .gmo files are normally made when the packager
runs "make dist".  AFAICT, "make dist" still succeeds without root
permission, but "make distcheck" fails because it runs "make", "make
install", and "make uninstall" in addition to "make dist".

I have a Debian Sid machine at home - haven't checked yet to see if
the packages in Sid have the same problem.

Anyway, we ought to get to the bottom of this - having non-functional
i18n in Ubuntu will disappoint a lot of people.

David