[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Thai translation of Tuxtype

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Sat Jun 5 09:44:50 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Freitag, 4. Juni 2010, David Bruce wrote:
> I can confirm that the tuxtype packages in Ubuntu Lucid
> (tuxtype_1.8.0-1_i386.deb  tuxtype-data_1.8.0-1_all.deb) are indeed
> missing all the .gmo files.  As a result, all the menus display in
> English irrespective of the theme selected.

Just to be clear: you mean the menus where one selects the game type etc?

> I'm wondering if the Debian packaging is missing the .gmo files due to
> some changes occurring leading up to 1.8.0.  Basically, tuxtype's
> "make install" needs to be done with sudo or as root

It is (though its fakeroot).

> , even within the
> user's home directory, because it runs "chown root:games" on the
> custom word list directory.  I don't know the specifics of how the
> .deb packages get created, but I am wondering if somehow the .gmo
> files no longer get made in the packaging process because of this
> permission issue.  The .gmo files are normally made when the packager
> runs "make dist".  AFAICT, "make dist" still succeeds without root
> permission, but "make distcheck" fails because it runs "make", "make
> install", and "make uninstall" in addition to "make dist".

"make dist" is not run, just configure, make, make install.

You can check yourself by running:

apt-get source tuxtype
cd tuxtype-*
less debian/rules

> I have a Debian Sid machine at home - haven't checked yet to see if
> the packages in Sid have the same problem.

I've just checked and tuxtype 1.8.1-2 in sid and squeeze is even more
broken :-( Fixing now...

> Anyway, we ought to get to the bottom of this - having non-functional
> i18n in Ubuntu will disappoint a lot of people.

/me nods

cheers,
	Holger