[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] [Tuxmath-devel] TuxMath + libt4kcommon maiden linkage

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 12:29:36 UTC 2010

Hi Brendan,

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Brendan Luchen <cheezmeister at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's been a great day of hacking for a change, and libt4kcommon is
> looking good. I spent today getting it to link, but only with TuxMath,
> using CMake, under Linux (and technically MinGW too, but that's an act
> of masochism as usual). More delightful combinations to come with
> TuxType, autotools and OSX...as soon as I wrap my head around libtool,
> that is.

With CMake, I'm running into an error with the latest t4kcommon from git:

dbruce at dbruce-laptop:/usr/local/src/git/t4kcommon/build_cm$ cmake ..--
The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Looking for include files CMAKE_HAVE_PTHREAD_H
-- Looking for include files CMAKE_HAVE_PTHREAD_H - found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE
-- checking for module 'librsvg-2.0'
--   found librsvg-2.0, version 2.26.2
-- checking for module 'cairo'
--   found cairo, version 1.8.10
SDL_Pango:  YES
CMake Error at src/CMakeLists.txt:6 (include):
  include could not find load file:

    T4K_Sugar

CMake Error at src/CMakeLists.txt:30 (t4k_include_definition):
  Unknown CMake command "t4k_include_definition".

Are you sure you have pushed everything from your machine back into git?

> Some remarks:
> The T4K_FuncName() prefix - These have been added to all functions
> that have so far made it into the library.

I think it is a good idea, at least for the transition period - it
makes it easy to grep for places where the new functions are being

> Tux4Kids-common vs. T4k-common vs. t4kcommon - a relatively minor
> issue, but one that's causing a few problems. For example, the CMake
> installation step currently takes t4k-common.h and renames it to
> t4kcommon.h when copied over.

Yes, the autotools build fails because tuxmath is looking for
t4kcommon.h, but t4k-common.h is what gets installed.  I think we
could use the "t4kcommon.h" convention, or possibly "t4k_common.h"
(which I think is a bit easier to read).  Automake doesn't allow
hyphens within the makefile variables for names of programs or
libraries, although it has no problems with file names with hyphens.
So, if we are going to be changing the names, I vote for
"t4k_common.h".

Cheers,

David