[Utnubu-maintainers] Re: Patch the patched please.

Marco Amadori marco.amadori at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 00:51:11 UTC 2005

Alle 01:23, lunedì 7 novembre 2005, hai scritto:

> > "raid0", "raid1", "raid10", "dm-mirror", "linear", "faulty"
>
> excluding dm-mod which is needed by dmraid, I think none of the above
> modules is needed by dmraid which does all the trickery by itself. However
> I'm CC'ing Heinz Mauelshagen which is the author of dmraid just to be sure
> this is correct.

Excluding dm-mirror does not boot my test system, adding it worked on, so at
least dm-mirror should be included, but I have no more the test sytem now for
a while so I cannot try to exclude modules one by one.

> Note also that dmraid links to libdevmapper so you may want /lib available
> as soon as possible.

I think this is already handled by yaird since my patched yaird booted my
system correctly.

So at least for a sempron64 with sid i386, using dmraid, my patched yaird,
running two sata disks as a mirror (raid1) array on nv_sata/"nv_dmraid"  it
worked.

Could someone ask upstream dmraid author to look at dmraid sys interface?

In the specific, the partition directory in it are missing and each partition
is treated a single device, so normal tools miss to find the proper device
hierarchy.

I found a work-around for yaird but without a proper syfs interface I saw that
at least lvm2 tools (e.g. pvcreate) did not recognize the array, hence it
seems that I could not create lvm volumes. (Yes I was trying to test yaird
lvm2 on dmraid... )
I saw that also evms tools and grub-install have problems. Grub is easy to
tweak, but the other two.... I sincereley have no time now to mess with
something bigger that the beautiful yaird.

--
ESC:wq