[apt-offline-devel] apt-offline install error: couldn't understand file type ..._Release.gpg

Ritesh Raj Sarraf rrs at researchut.com
Thu Apr 7 11:44:13 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-04-07 at 11:31 +0200, Gabriel Niebler wrote:
> Hello Ritesh, list,
>
> On 04/05/2016 12:11 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:

> > On Mon, 2016-04-04 at 13:43 +0200, Gabriel Niebler wrote:
> > I filed a bug report from your email.
> > https://github.com/rickysarraf/apt-offline/issues/50
> >
> > I hope you are okay with communicating over github ?
> Yes, absolutely. Let's keep the big discussions on the bug tracker.
> I would have filed those issues immediately, but I didn't know what you
> use for a bug tracker for apt-offline: Alioth, Debian bugs, github, ...
> Now I know.
>
> By the way, do you think you could add some remarks and maybe links to
> the effect that the project is now mainly hosted on github to the
> overview page on Alioth? It is the first thing that came up when I
> searched for apt-offline and looks - to me at least - very much like the
> "official" home page for the apt-offline project.

It started with Alioth being a Debian native tool. But Alioth shows its age. I
created a Github proxy for convenience. It is also easy to use (and create PRs).

Maybe I should switch to Github (There's already a PR from Hans to switch the
Vcs Repos). Its just that some people are finicky about github.

> > In between 1.5 and HEAD, a lot changed. And honestly, I haven't looked into
> > finding the fixes and backporting them. If you really are interested, you
> > can go
> > that route. I'll be happy to review.
> >
> > On the other hand, instead, do you think we should simply do a backport?
> > Maybe
> > of the 1.7 release ? Then in that case, someone needs to test it (1.7
> > release)
> > well on Jessie ?
> Well, this is your project and as such release management is, of course,
> very much up to you. But if I may offer my perspective, since you ask: I
> believe backporting selected bug fixes to the 1.5 release makes sense IFF
> a) there are only a few of them
> b) backporting them would give us a stable, functional and (as far as
> anyone knows) basically bug-free release of version 1.5, which
> c) we could reasonably expect to get into Debian stable or at least
> testing and
> d) we expect that we won't be able to get a newer version into testing.
>
> These are very general remarks, as I don't know enough about what the
> actual differences between different versions of apt-offline actually are.

I'll push a new version to backports.d.o
It is much simpler, and I've already requested my a/c to have the necessary
privileges to upload.

Have you tested 1.7 on Jessie ?
From my last test results, it looked good enough.

--