[apt-offline-devel] apt-offline install error: couldn't understand file type ..._Release.gpg

Gabriel Niebler gabriel.niebler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 09:31:34 UTC 2016

Hello Ritesh, list,

On 04/05/2016 12:11 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-04-04 at 13:43 +0200, Gabriel Niebler wrote:
> I filed a bug report from your email.
> https://github.com/rickysarraf/apt-offline/issues/50
>
> I hope you are okay with communicating over github ?

Yes, absolutely. Let's keep the big discussions on the bug tracker.
I would have filed those issues immediately, but I didn't know what you
use for a bug tracker for apt-offline: Alioth, Debian bugs, github, ...
Now I know.

By the way, do you think you could add some remarks and maybe links to
the effect that the project is now mainly hosted on github to the
overview page on Alioth? It is the first thing that came up when I
searched for apt-offline and looks - to me at least - very much like the
"official" home page for the apt-offline project.

> In between 1.5 and HEAD, a lot changed. And honestly, I haven't looked into
> finding the fixes and backporting them. If you really are interested, you can go
> that route. I'll be happy to review.
>
> On the other hand, instead, do you think we should simply do a backport? Maybe
> of the 1.7 release ? Then in that case, someone needs to test it (1.7 release)
> well on Jessie ?

Well, this is your project and as such release management is, of course,
very much up to you. But if I may offer my perspective, since you ask: I
believe backporting selected bug fixes to the 1.5 release makes sense IFF
a) there are only a few of them
b) backporting them would give us a stable, functional and (as far as
anyone knows) basically bug-free release of version 1.5, which
c) we could reasonably expect to get into Debian stable or at least
testing and
d) we expect that we won't be able to get a newer version into testing.

These are very general remarks, as I don't know enough about what the
actual differences between different versions of apt-offline actually are.

Best
gabe