[cut-team] Article about CUT

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Thu Mar 17 16:19:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011, Adnan Hodzic wrote:
> Here's the first draft of the article: http://goo.gl/c4uBD

A quick review because I don't have much time... but I don't want
miscommunication either.

"project that has been undergoing for quite some time now"

this gives the false impression that the project is live already...
except for a few experiments, it's still mostly vaporware so I would avoid
giving false expectations

---

Your description of unstable/testing/stable is oversimplified and flawed.
The mantra "it's released when it's ready" is still true, even if we
manage to release every 2 years approximately.

---

The CUT idea by Joey Hess is older than 2 years.

---

"it has been discussed they are released either every month or every six
months."

Well, the discussinos mentionned many possible delays, but I don't think
you can claim that the choice will be either 1 month or 6 months. In fact
I hope it's going to be somewhere in the middle if anything.

---

" nor in case you already switched to testing would you have to worry
whether your next update will break your system "

Well, this might be a long term goal but it's not a good idea to make
a claim that this is going to be the case. Not all maintainers are going
to care about upgradibility between CUT (or in testing).

---

I don't really find the Android reference pertinent.

---

We have asked Michael Gilbert to not present his experiment as CUT and you
present it as a first step of CUT. You should not do that. Present it as
the experiment of someone interested to explore the concepts behind CUT
and not something (semi-)official.

---

That's it, I suggest you get it proofread by a native english speaker
because quite a few sentences sounded awkward to me.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)