[Debian-ha-maintainers] Pacemaker 1.1.13

Richard B Winters rik at mmogp.com
Wed Aug 12 19:41:01 BST 2015

Hello,

On 08/12/2015 01:44 PM, Pallai Roland wrote:
> <mailto:rik at mmogp.com>>:
>
>     Re-read your first email:
>
> Thanks, it's now clear.

Great :)

>     3. Yes please uninstall heartbeat prior to building from source. If
>     you are manually building then you can do as u wish, keeping in mind
>     requirements.
>
> Solved but it's undocumented and works like a gotcha. I think it would
> be better to put
> a. --without-heartbeat into rules or
> b. Build-Conflicts: libheartbeat2-dev into control
> to make the build process more robust for users.

That's a great suggestion, I'll ask the team which method they prefer
for handling that situation and update it asap.

>     One thing to keep in mind is that the debian-ha stack is only
>     partially available within Debian's official repositories. I'd
>     recommend adding ppa.mmogp.com <http://ppa.mmogp.com> to your
>     sources list and then install everything, things in Debian which are
>     newer than the ppa will take precedence, but the ppa will provide
>     you those packages which are not yet updated within Debian...which
>     are many...and some won't ever make it into Jessie officially until
>     stretch is stable...
>
> It would have been nice to know about ppa.mmogp.com
> <http://ppa.mmogp.com/> before I started to maintain my
> own cluster stack. :) Anyhow, there are multiple reasons to go forward
> on my own way until at least stretch won't be stable. I'm trying to stay
> close to debian-ha but my goal is to integrate upstream releases and
> bugfixes early into my own repo.

Yea, ppa.mmogp.com is free and open source, but it is something I
created preemptively - I'll give ssh access to any Debian contributor
who would like to help maintain the Debian apt repo, but a majority of
the team is not interested in it - and would not recommend it - the last
I asked anyway.

I believe there are plans for a more official private repo, or to use a
backports repository - either way the team is planning to get the stack
into Debian as officially as possible in due time.

We do have a site [1] which links to a few different places of interest
- such as our wiki [2], which does have a guide [3], that does mention
ppa.mmogp.com:

[1] http://debian-ha.alioth.debian.org
[2] wiki.debian.org/Debian-HA
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/Debian-HA/ClustersFromScratch

Hope that helps, and glad you made some head-way!

Best regards,

--
Rik