[Debian-handbook-translators] Status of Spanish translation

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Tue Mar 29 08:00:38 UTC 2016

Hello Adrià,

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016, Adrià wrote:
> I would like to know what the Spanish translation needs in order to
> become 100% finished like French or Japanese ones.
>
> From my perspective is done, but probably I miss something. In that
> case, please let us know which jobs are pending.

I would like to have a paperback version on lulu.com. For this I just need
a PDF with an improved layout.

If we don't pay attention to the layout we have multiple problems:
- sidebars split across multiple pages (it's not acceptable to
  have a sidebar start on a right page and finish on a left page, i.e.
  having to turn a page to see the end)
- sidebars split over two pages for a few lines only
- huge white spaces due to figures/tables being move to the next page,
  etc.

We can avoid most of those problems with a few tweaks that we do in
jessie/print-es branch:
- moving the <sidebar> a few para up or down (in the en-US/*.xml files
  directly)
- adding some forced pagebreaks (in the en-US/*.xml files between XML
  tags, or in es-ES/*.po files when you need the tag in a <para> directly)
- sometimes tweaking the translated text to save a few words to get the
  text to take one line less
- changing the sizes of the pictures or of the <screen> (we have some
  scaling options)

You can check in the existing jessie/print-* branches to see what kind
of changes we made...

To make the PDF layout reproducible, you must build the PDF with
"./build/build-pdf --lang=es-ES" in a Debian jessie environment with
the build-depends installed.

> I'm asking it since I'd like to promote it through both official
> (DPN/Bits) and non-official (colleagues, blogs…) if possible (or maybe
> waiting for a while is a better choice).

On my side, I just asked the cover designer to create the spanish cover.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer