[Debian-iot-maintainers] Moving forward to mosquitto 2.0.17

Carsten Schoenert c.schoenert at t-online.de
Wed Aug 30 18:14:37 BST 2023

Hello Joachim,

Am 30.08.23 um 21:47 schrieb Joachim Zobel:
> Hi.
>
> I want to try to move the mosquitto package to 2.0.17. Any reasons
> against that?
>
> Any hints on how to do that?

well, the needed workflow isn't well documented.
So far I see there is a branch upstream which reflects the upstream
data, were at least the related upstream tag should get merged in and
afterwards merging that upstream tag into the Debian packaging related
branch.

There is a file debian/gbp.conf which is used by git-buildpackage, a
quite common high lever build tool to automate some packaging steps.

https://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html

There is no pristine-tar branch which is a bit uncommon. This makes it
difficult to nearly impossible to recreate bit identical tarball over time.

So you need to make a decision on how to proceed with the packaging
style and branch layout.
Using the upstream branch as a base for importing new version is fine,
but it's not that typical and common. You might want to look at pydoctor
and the used gbp settings there

> https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/pydoctor

Or you switch to the current probably most common way to package with
the help of gbp.
Means you import upstream tarballs. My guess is that quite all existing
packages in the IoT group are managed that way.

PS: Please select a reasonable Topic once you write a question or
request feedback to to something. :-)
It's helps to keep track about the various lists, I wouldn't answering
if I haven seen the over emails before.

--
Regards
Carsten