[xml/sgml-pkgs] Build failure: cannot find -lz

Martin Michlmayr tbm at cyrius.com
Tue Jul 25 17:45:53 UTC 2006

A number of applications currently fail to build with something like:

| sparc-linux-gnu-gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/ots ots.o ../src/.libs/libots-1.so /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/lib/libxml2.so -ldl -lz -lm /usr/lib/libpopt.so
| /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz

In bug #378494, filed on one of these packages (ices2), Julien Cristau
first claims "this -lz comes from libxml2's .la file, which libtool
uses to link ices2.  This could be fixed by libxml2-dev depending on
zlib1g-dev again, or not installing libxml2.la (which would probably
be better in the long term, but risks breaking existing packages)."
He later adds, "Actually, relibtoolizing ices2 (with the Debian libtool)
seems to be enough to fix this."

Should I file individual bugs on these packages or one grave bug on
libxml2.  Are the xml-sgml folks aware of this problem?

The (probably incomplete) list of packages is:

gdome2-xslt_0.0.7-4
gdome2_0.8.1-1
ices2_2.0.1-4 (#378494)
ivman_0.6.12-2