[Gnuk-users] Gnuk, Nitrokey and upstream contributions

Nico Rikken nico at nicorikken.eu
Mon Sep 7 19:51:38 UTC 2015

Dear Gnuk users,

The Gnuk presentation during DebConf Portland has introduced me to the
concept of software-defined crypto modules, and this really clicked with
me.

I already use PGP-encryption on a daily basis, and having a dedicated
module would be the next step to a more advanced practice.
As the Nitrokey (prev: Cryptostick) models have become available, I  can
now easily acquire a software-defined stick for use on a daily basis.

But before I make the purchase, I'd like to know how I can be a good
Free Software Citizen, and make the best upstream contribution of my
next gadget. So I was hoping you could shed some light on this, coming
from an outside view:

1) Nitrokey offers two sticks, the Start and the Pro. Only the Start is
said to be based on the Gnuk firmware. Would I be able to participate
with upstream development with the Pro model? Or would I be able to
eventually get some of the Pro-only features (4096bit keys, One Time
Passwords) on the Start as Gnuk progresses?

2) Is there any way I can contribute to Gnuk as a user with a Nitrokey
on my hands? Say by running a beta-version or by running (distributed)
tests on the hardware to validate randomness?
(I know the FST-01 is the recommended development environment, or any
other STM32 platform for that matter. Its just that having a solid
enclosure would make it more durable and temper-proof on my keychain for
daily use)

3) Would a firmware-upgrade remove or modify my stored key, requiring me
to have a back-up at hand, or use a dedicated Nitrokey for development?

Are there any ways to financially donate to the Gnuk (and related)
project?

I hope you can lower the barrier for me to contribute to this project.
In any case I love the achievement you've reached so far, this is
important work!

Kind regards,
Nico Rikken (NL)