[Gnuk-users] Making use of FST-01 SPI flash in Gnuk token

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Jan 10 14:31:29 UTC 2018

On 10/01/18 02:21, Duncan wrote:
> While it would be nice if the firmware were able to make use of the
> flash, I am wondering how one can allow the host computer to access
> the flash, like a mass storage device.

The latter requires the former.

In order for the host PC to use the flash in any way, the firmware needs
to offer, for example, a mass storage device to the host computer. For
that, the firmware needs to be able to make use of the flash chip. So
when Niibe writes that the flash is not used by the firmware, this
implies that the host computer can also not use the flash.

I suspect that it is easy to access the flash from the firmware. What is
non-trivial, is writing firmware to allow the host computer to access
the flash in a useful way.

I hope that clarifies the situation.

Cheers!

Peter.