[Nut-upsuser] Zigor Ebro 650 compatibility

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 11:13:38 UTC 2012

2012/9/6 Martyn Hill <martyn.joseph.hill at gmail.com>

> Hi Arnaud

Hi Martin,

> I have not made progress with re-compiling NUT against libusb-0.1 on my
> FreeBSD v8.2 box as I cannot figure out how to do so.
>
> Instead, I built a FreeBSD v7.4 install in a VM (VirtualBox) on my XP
> laptop and attempted to test NUT there as a PoC for this UPS.
>
> FeeBSD definately uses libusb-0.1, as the following linkage for blazer_usb
> shows:

indeed

/usr/local/libexec/nut/blazer_**usb:
>     libusb-0.1.so.8 => /usr/local/lib/libusb-0.1.so.8 (0x2808d000)
>     libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5 (0x28093000)
>     libthr.so.3 => /lib/libthr.so.3 (0x280a9000)
>     libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x280be000)
>
> Unfortunately, VirtualBox refused to allow me to attach the UPS USB port
> to the guest OS (saying 'busy with a previous request'), so that came to
> nothing - and after several night's effort::-(

have you shared the device, in VBox ?
Ie, allowed explicitly your VM to use the UPS, or even exclusively?

> So, do you (or anyone else here) have any guidance on how to force NUT to
> link against libusb-0.1 at compile time ???
>
> I'm still not convinced that the FreeBSD implementation of libusb v2 is
> fully compatible with v0.1 - the available documentation is confusing...
>
> Meanwhile, I've seen a posting from a FreeBSD v9 user, who clearly gets
> further than the 'Unknown error' message that I get when running their
> (supported) UPS over USB in FreeBSD...

try grouping your efforts, FreeBSD knowledges (I'm a newby there) and
results.

you may also try with Linux first, to get around a possible device issue
with the driver, and then get back to FBSD...

cheers,
Arno