[sane-devel] Problem with UMAX 1200S and Symbios53c860

Florian Zumbiehl florz at gmx.de
Sun Apr 14 02:15:17 BST 2002

Hi,

I've got some problems with getting my scanner to work with sane...

It's a UMAX 1200S with Firmware version 3.1, connected to a Symbios
Logic 53c860. Also connected to that host adapter are two Harddisks,
the whole chain looks like this:

 1  <-- IDs -->     4                                       6
HDD1, terminated---HDD2---host adapter---ext. connector---scanner + term.
\________________________/                             \_/
	  0.7 m                                        2 m

The HDDs are working quite fine, just the scanner does not work
properly, so I assume that the problem is none of termination
(moreeven when I disconnect the terminator from the scanner, the
bus resp. the HDDs hang, thus it seems termination is ok (when
connected... ;-))

The scanner is recognized correctly:

sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner "UMAX Astra 1200S V3.1" at \
device /dev/sg2

Only when I start scanimage -T, the scanner first moves a few steps
forward (even though very slowly), stops and seems not to do
anything at all for ~ 2 min, then moves forward some centimeters quite
fast, less back - and then scanimage terminates with this message:

scanimage: sane_start: Unknown SANE status code -1

Even though this msg does definitely not seem to reveal much
of the cause of the problem, I ask you for help ... if I shall
tell you anything else to get a clue of what causes this problem,
just tell me and I'll provide you with it.

BTW, there were no msgs in the kernel log...

The versions involved were:

- sane-backend 1.0.7
- GNU/Linux 2.2.20

Many thnx in advance,