[Fwd: Re: [sane-devel] Epson Stylus CX-6400]

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf at epkowa.co.jp
Tue Dec 16 02:58:39 GMT 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 04:22:09PM -0100, gerard klaver wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 13:40, Bernie Gardner wrote:
> > I am trying to get an Epson Stylus CX6400 to work in SuSE Linux 9.0.
> > [snip]
> >
> > But scanimage -L says no scanners were identified.  If I try to use
> > Kooka as a front end, it identifies:
> >
> > epkowa:/dev/usb/scanner0
> > Epson PX-A650
> >
> > but doesn't actually do anything.
> >
> > I can't figure where the PX-A650 identification is coming from.
>
> Some Epson scanners have a different name for different part of the
> world but the software can handle only one name.
> The Epson perfection 1660 photo for example is when used with XSANE
> named GT8300.
>
> with sane-find-scanner -v -v  (as root) or with lsusb -v you can collect
> more data

The Perfection 1660 Photo (a.k.a. GT-8300UF) is supported by the epson
and epkowa backends.  The latter is distributed as part of "Image Scan!
for Linux".

The reason behind the puzzling names is that EPSON markets the same
scanner under different names in different parts of the world.  That
used to be no problem for backend writers because the scanner nicely
identified itself with something that resembled the label on the
scanner.  However, for some time now, the scanner returns the same
name no matter what it says on the label.  Generally, this is the
name the scanner is marketed under in Japan.

For the epkowa backend we are cooking up some ESP to at least try to
show you the right name.  Note, this has not been released yet and is
necessarily not fool-proof (because the scanner doesn't provide any
clue).

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
Penguin's lib!       -- I hack, therefore I am --               LPIC-2