[sane-devel] multiple scanners

Peter Santoro peter at pscomp.com
Fri Jan 17 05:37:06 GMT 2003

I just purchased an Epson Perfection 1660 Photo scanner to work with
Linux (RedHat 7.3 and Slackware 8.1).  I built, installed, and
configured SANE according to directions.  It works great.  Thanks!

But I do have a couple of questions.

1) I understand that Linux supports 16 usb scanners.  Am I correct in
assuming that I can put multiple entries in my
/usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf to operate more than one epson scanner
at a time?  For example, if I had three epson 1660s, could I do the
following in my epson.conf:

usb /dev/usb/scanner0
usb /dev/usb/scanner1
usb /dev/usb/scanner2

2) As the scanner module requires vendor and product parameters, it
doesn't appear that SANE supports more than one scanner vendor/product
at the same time.  Does SANE support multiple scanner types at the same
time?  If so, how does one configure this?

Thanks for your help,

Peter